Additional Contacts

Contact Mike Pounders by email ( m.pounders@comcast.net ) or phone (501-766-1229) for submissions to web site or additional questions.

Monday, June 27, 2011

"Addicted to Wood"

There is an old song by Robert Palmer with these lyrics:
“Your lights are on, but you’re not home
Your mind is not your own
Your heart sweats, your body shakes
Another kiss is what it takes
You can’t sleep, you can’t eat
There’s no doubt, you’re in deep
Your throat is tight, you can’t breathe
Another kiss is all you need
Whoa, you like to think that you’re immune to the stuff, oh yeah
It’s closer to the truth to say you can’t get enough
You know you’re gonna have to face it, you’re addicted to wood!”









OK,OK, he actually said love…...but it is a little known fact that he may have considered “wood” but was forced to change the lyric to give it more commercial appeal! Maybe.

But the sentiment expressed in the song resonates with me in carving….at times, it seems like it is all I think about. I always have a pocketknife with me and will carve at any opportunity. It doesn’t matter if it is a pencil. a twig, or a toothpick, I have this urge to see what I can carve! I have even brought basswood scraps to work to carve on when things slow down. This piece is about 3 1/2” tall and was intended to be a female practice face, only it may be more boyish than female. It doesn’t matter that much to me…it’s all about the “doing”! It has kind of an Egyptian mummy look to it and you can see the knife and sandpaper that I used. I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel to post things since the club hasn't met for a while, but I'll try to keep posting something until I get pictures of everyone else's stuff. Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment